Weekly Update 9.20.22
Be on the Lookout for…
- Tuesday folders will not come home today. You can expect a folder and work samples next week.
- Our Scholastic Book Orders is due TOMORROW Wed Sept 21st by noon. This is an awesome way to get your child motivated to read, and ordering online earns free books for our classroom! Please consider looking through the pages with your child. Just click this link here for easy ordering! Our class code is: GPPF6
- Next Monday, Sept 26 is a teacher workday. There is NO SCHOOL for students that day.
- Parent OPEN HOUSE will be next Thursday, September 29th at 5:30pm. There will be two 25 minute sessions for parents with more than 1 classroom to visit.
- Today we enjoyed a story from our 1st (well, technically 2nd) mystery reader. Thank you Mr. Gaudet for the visit! Be on the lookout for a sign up genius and details for this fun opportunity!
This week in Literacy:
Beginning of the year reading benchmarks are complete, yay!
We took our first unit test Monday. It was long and challenging but I was proud of the effort and skill students put forth. 3rd grade is a challenge in SO many ways, and getting used to assessments that have many parts and are not read aloud is one of those. Thank you for keeping it positive and focused on growth at home! word-growth
We are continuing our reading about overcoming learning challenges from around the world. This week we explore My Librarian is a Camel to see a nonfiction text about actual traveling libraries that enrich lives of children around the world.
BOG scores will be sent home soon so be on the lookout in late Sept/early Oct.
This week in Math:
We will wrap up our 1st math unit this week as we continue to connect repeated addition and patterns to open our minds to multiplication and division concepts. Memorization of facts is not the goal (YET…) rather, I want to ensure students know when and WHY multiplication should be used. There are tons of great resources for this skill- please check some out here in this amazing math review resource organized by skill.
This quarter in science: In 1st quarter students will focus on Body Systems; specifically The skeletal, muscular and skin systems.
Objectives for this unit are:
3.L.1 Understand human body systems and how they are essential for life: protection, movement and support.
3.L.1.1 Compare the different functions of the skeletal and muscular system.
3.L.1.2 Explain why skin is necessary for protection and for the body to remain healthy.