Weekly Update 9.20.16
Oops- Mrs. Vaughan forgot to hit “post” on her update for this week. Just put the kids to bed and thought, “I forgot something!” So- the word- oops 🙂
Be on the Lookout for…
- Individual PICTURE DAY was today. Picture packs will come home with students soon and you will have the option to order pics then if you wish.
- Our class will have it’s Media Center, I mean “Workshop of Wonder” orientation and first checkout on Wednesday this week. Yay!
- We will also have our laptop/Ipad/digital citizenship orientation on Thursday this week so we can finally start using tech in our classroom!
- Today, an xtramath.org flyer came home with an access code for your child to begin using this essential tool at home. The expectation is that students spend the 5 minutes to do a session of xtramath daily! I have used it for 2 years and think it’s the best tool for fact fluency out there. If you did not receive your access code sheet, or need another one, please email me!
- If you haven’t already, please follow us on twitter @MrsVaughan3 so you can check out the great things happening in our room in real time. Students earn points for followers they bring to our page!
This week in Literacy:
We will start weekly reading/activity buddies with Ms. Liberto’s 1st grade class on Friday this week. I can’t wait to watch our “mature” 3rd graders serve as a mentor to these young owls and maybe even learn something! IF your child does not have a reading tote yet- please send asap!! Students need this for traveling around the school with their reading choices.
Students are finishing literacy assessments this week in the areas of fluency, comprehension and context clues. These will help give us an idea of what students know and give us a baseline on how far students will grow this year.
We are also learning about characters- their traits and motivation, and how their actions impact the story. Students will practice telling basic story elements and answering right there questions.
In writing, we are having a great time writing a personal narrative about an injury we have had. The more details, the better the story!
This week in Math:
We are finishing subtraction strategies, but that is not to say all students are proficient with addition with regrouping yet. I will continue to spiral in review of these skills all quarter.
Subtraction, particularly with multiple borrowing pots or across zeroes is extremely difficult for 3rd graders. I will teach them a variety of methods so please be open minded to what strategy will work best for your child. If frustration levels are reached when doing homework, write me a note or send me an email. I want to address it asap! Here is a helpful tutorial that may assist your child with getting on track with difficult subtraction. Some practice games can be found here. Word- borrowing
A year long “Scope and Sequence” which lays out our math curriculum pacing for the year can be found here
This quarter in social studies: In 1st quarter, students will learn about Civics and Government.
Objectives for this quarter are:
|3.C&G.1||Understand the development, structure and function of local government.|
|3.C&G.2||Understand how citizens participate in their communities.|
This quarter in science: In 1st quarter students will focus on the Human Body.
Objectives for this quarter are:
|3.L.1||Understand the human body systems and how they are essential for life: protection, movement, and support.|
|3.L.1.1||Compare the different functions of the skeletal and muscular systems.|
|3.L.1.2||Explain why skin is necessary for protection and for the body to remain healthy.|