Weekly Update 8.24.21
Welcome to Mrs. Vaughan’s 3rd grade class. I am so excited for a new year and hope you are ready to hit the ground running! Please check this site EVERY Tuesday afternoon. I will send the link through Dojo Story once a week as a reminder. It will have important dates, needs, and academic topics we are currently covering. There will also be a secret word embedded in the update. If you write the word at the bottom of your students’ agenda, they earn an extra dojo point each Wednesday morning!
What you need to know this week:
- Tuesday folders will come home today. Look forward to some papers from me and student samples every few weeks.
- If you haven’t already, please read through the folder given to you a Meet and Greet last week. Return any papers and send supplies as requested. This includes a book tote for your child’s self selected books. Ask your child if you are unsure what type of bag this should be!
- Please fill out the parent questionnaire form ASAP. I am still waiting for a few.
- Thank you to all parents for connecting to your child on class dojo! This makes communication a breeze. If you ever want to add or remove a guardian, just let me know! Word- dojo
- Your child will need to bring their device to school ON FRIDAY this week. I will keep you posted on other days they need to bring. Message me if your child does not currently have a device.
This week in literacy: Please check Tuesday folders for an overview on our first reading unit. A good deal of our first weeks will be spent going over procedures and learning routines. Students will learn new expectations and what strategic reading looks in 3rd grade. I will be gathering a good deal of baseline data as well. We will also be covering the structure of our writing block.
This week in math: Please check Tuesday folders for a 3rd grade math overview for the year.We are starting with multiplication from the get go in Unit 1! Students will learn to look for patterns and understand multiplication as repeated groups. The 4 strategies we will use to teach this are: Equal groups (picture models), Number Line, Arrays, and Skip Counting.
VOCAB: Equation, product, Equal groups, Number Line, Arrays, and Skip Counting.