Weekly Update 5.11.21
Be on the Lookout!
- Thursday, May 13th is now an ASYNCHRONOUS day for students. They will have a combo of paper/pencil and Google Classroom tasks to complete at home. I will be in a morning and afternoon training so I may not be readily available to answer questions, but will do my best.
- 3rd grade EOG’s will be conducted on 2 separate days. Reading will be Mon, May 17. Math will be Tue June 1. Thank you for ensuring your child is present, well-rested and well-fed for those days. Testing will begin promptly at 9:30. word-testingtime
- Mrs. V will be absent Friday, May 14th. This is a crazy situation but I found out through Ancestry.com that I have a sister! We have been talking for months and are meeting in person on her bday. Crazy and exciting. Wish me luck!
- Please send a blanket or beach towel that can be used for outdoor reading and hallways reading as we work to build our reading stamina over these next few weeks!
- A note from Ms. Woosley’s 2nd graders: It is Service Project Time! Second grade students are in the process of completing service projects in class and we could use your help! Attached is a list of items that we will be collecting for the Holly Springs Food Cupboard. We will also be putting posters and boxes in each hallway AND a box outside at the front of the school to help students face to face and virtually have an easy way to drop off items. We will be collecting items from May 10 to May 28. Thank you so much for helping us put our Positivity into action and help in our community at the same time!
This week in Literacy:
We will finish strong with new literacy skills this year in a 2 week poetry unit. Students will review songs and poems for examples of rhyme, rhythm, repetition, imagery, simile, metaphor, alliteration, onomatopoeia, personification.
Students have begun their Food Truck Business Plans! They are very excited to be entrepreneurs and design their own truck. I posted to the class story today information about Kona Ice treats for each student. If you are missing the paper copy that came home today in folders you can review details here.
This week in Math:
Because Mrs. V will be out, we will move our 12’s multiplication quiz to TUES, MAY 18th. Some students may have earned all their icecream sundae pieces by then! Most children will need to makeup one or more tests from not passing or being absent. Those makeup days will be Fri May 21, Tue May 25, and Fri May 28th. Our goal is to have our class sundae party on Fri, June 4th. Please look out for a signup for supplies next week!
Our last new unit of this year is on telling time to the nearest minute. Students will also need to use a number line to find elapsed time, or how much has passed from the start to the end. To help out with this skill please discuss time and schedules where your child needs to solve how much time activities take and even better to use the word “elapsed”!
This week in Social Studies:
3.E.1 Understand how the location of regions affects activity in a market economy.
3.E.1.1 Explain how location impacts supply and demand.
3.E.1.2 Explain how locations of regions and natural resources influence economic development (industries developed around natural resources, rivers and coastal towns).
3.E.2 Understand entrepreneurship in a market economy.
3.E.2.1 Explain why people become entrepreneurs.
3.E.2.2 Give examples of entrepreneurship in various regions of our state.