Weekly Update 10.3.17
Be on the Lookout for…
- Tuesday folders contain some paperwork from the school today. Please review and return necessary papers as you are able.
- You are now able to pay for the field trips through the online OSP. You can also pay the $20 with cash or check.
- The Carolina Hurricanes have partnered with WCPSS to motivate kids to read! We are jumping on board in hopes we will motivate readers and win some free hockey tickets! Please use the link to log reading minutes and use the printed calendar so I can award dojo points weekly for completion. This will also help keep track in case your child can’t make it to a device to log nightly. You can backdate, catch up, etc as needed. word-hockey
- Fall parent teacher conferences are coming up soon. If you haven’t already, please sign up! I look forward to meeting and discussing our #owlsome year thus far. If you have specific questions or concerns, I’d love for you to shoot me an email or message ahead of time so I can make the most of our time together.
This week in Literacy:
- Students began some nonfiction reading this week and an introduction to the Objects in the Sky unit we are starting in science this week! Please draw their attention to text features you see in newspapers, magazines, online news stories, etc.
- We also began our Food Truck Business Plans this week. Students are very excited to wrap up our Economics unit by becoming entrepreneurs of their own! We will have a Food Truck Rodeo in a few weeks to sell our products (sorry, fake food only folks) and practice our addition and subtraction. The truck owner with the most profit will win a trophy!
- We are continuing to read Wonder as class and connect the story events to our focus topics in reading, as well as how to be a good person in the classroom and in life. Your child probably doesn’t have much to say when you ask how their day was, but today they may mention “Mrs. Vaughan cried!” I dare you to read the chapter “Padawan” of this book and not do the same! 🙂
This week in Math:
We are continuing our unit on- geometry! This topic is fun but vocabulary is KEY to understanding. For this reason, students will keep a geometry cheat sheet inside their agendas. For homework this week in math, they will need to shuffle and rematch vocab words daily. Please help however you can with this. word-geometry
Ask students to see their Chatterkid creation of their favorite polygon! Many of them have already uploaded these to their Google Drive. We will organize our drive on Friday for easy access to all of our #owlsome work!
An awesome former coworker of mine created an amazing math review resource organized by skill. Check it out for games and activities on any math concept we cover in 3rd grade!
Concepts to review: place value, addition with regrouping, subtraction with borrowing
A year long “Scope and Sequence” which lays out our math curriculum pacing for the year can be found here