Weekly Update 10.26.21
Be on the Lookout for…
- Tuesday folders come home today. Please look at work samples and review with your child as needed.
- Students are taking the NCCheckIn math test for 1st quarter this Fri, Oct29th. Please ensure your child has a charged device and is on time that day!
- There is NO SCHOOL for students Wed, Oct 27th. It is a teacher workday.
- We will have a visit from our counselor Ms. Poe and Shelby the Therapy Dog on Friday as well. Please send me a message if you or your child want to opt out of this visit.
Beginning November 1st, ALL 3rd grade students will be administered the CogAT-Cognitive Abilities Test as part of the screening process for the Academically and Intellectually Gifted program (AIG). This test will be administered over the course of three days beginning at 9:30 am: Nov. 1st (Verbal Subtests), Nov. 3rd (Quantitative Subtests), Nov. 4th (Nonverbal Subtests). There will be makeup days if a child is absent on the day(s) of testing. Attached you will find a FAQ about the CogAT test. Information about the test can be found here.
- Parent Teacher conferences will be held Nov 8-19th via Google Meet. Please click this link to sign up. The Meet link will be posted on the SignUpGenius page and on Class Dojo as the dates draw closer.
This week in Literacy:
Students will start a new EL unit about Frogs this week. We will be reading and writing narratives through Poems and Pourquoi Tales about Frogs. We have already defined the French word and it’s meaning and are excited to explore many tales that explain the origin or reasoning behind something. Even if modern science debunks some of these, they are fun to think about! word- pourquoi
This week in Math:
We are wrapping up unit 3 as we continue to practice addition and subtraction strategies and some difficult two step word problems. Whether your child is excelling or struggling with fluent adding and subtraction, they MUST show work for the answers so I can see that they know how to correctly use strategies and I can identify any errors.
This week in science:
3.P.2 Understand the structure and properties of matter before and after they undergo a change.
3.P.3 Recognize how energy can be transferred from one object to another.